Waltham St. Lawrence: Golden Cockerel Press, 1927.
By Geoffrey Chaucer. Edited and with an Introduction by Arundell del Re. Number 159 of 219 (225) copies set in 18 pt. Caslon Old Face type and printed in red, blue and black on Kelmscott hand-made paper. Small folio. 12.5 x 7.5 ins. xii, 310 pp. + Colophon. Quarter bound by Sangorski & Sutcliffe in niger with patterned paper covered boards. Five raised bands with gilt spine titling. T.E.G., others uncut. Title page and 5 full page wood engravings by Eric Gill as well as 4 tail-pieces and 60 decorative borders. This copy comes from the Turbutt family of Ogston Hall, Derbyshire. In 1905 Gladwyn M R Turbutt, while an undergraduate at Magdalen College, brought the family copy of Shakespeare’s First Folio to the Bodleian to enquire about rebinding. The senior sub-librarian and his staff immediately recognized this as the First Folio the Bodleian had purchased in 1623 which had been sold in the late 1660s and replaced with the new, improved Third Folio with additional plays. Henry Folger offered the Turbutts £3000 for their copy. The Bodleain responded, through its first public fund-raising campaign, to match Folger’s offer and return the prodigal Shakespeare First Folio to the Bodleian. The Golden Cockerel Bibliography notes, “A satisfying book. Owing to the small number of copies printed this volume is rare and always quoted at a good premium”. A n exceptionally fine copy of this sought after Golden Cockerel which had half the press run of “The Four Gospels” and “The Canterbury Tales”.